Monday, May 16, 2011

Tool #6

I have used Wallwisher in past, but I thought I would try it again as a way to see how much background knowledge students had on electricity. I think of it as the "know" on a KWL chart. You could even have another wall for the "what do you want to learn." You could use Edmodo to promote discussion while learning about topic. Wallwisher was very easy to set-up. I just had to put a link on my class webpage. When we began our physical science unit students were showing what they knew about gravity and I just gave everyone a sticky....well this is the virtual sticky.




I have used Edmodo in reading groups this year. When a members of a reading group are done with their assigned reading they go online to discuss the book. You need to show them or model good examples of commenting & posting. If I am not meeting with a group or between groups I go online and see what is being posted. I through out an open-ended question to deeper their discussion if needed or deleted posts that are off-topic. When I first introduced the idea of Edmodo by students could not wait to get started reading. It was VERY motivating...they were taking their books home to read. The layout reminds me of Facebook which is probably one of the reasons they like it, but I love how it is in a safe environment and it is not open to the public. I know I have not taken advantage of Edmodo full capabilities. They sharing links and images...which they figured out how to do without me showing them. Our students are like sponges with technology. They are not afraid to try things out and if it fails that's okay...we know what not to do next time.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you have found the benefits of Edmodo. We used it last year with 3rd grade and one of your students was the king at posting pictures. He always seemed to find the most amazing pictures to share with his Edmodo classmates. I found myself learning right along with the class! You are right about the students being sponges and they don't mind teaching their teachers. Thanks for sharing your experiences with everyone through your informative comments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jeanette,
    Cheryl is trying desperately to send you a comment and is having a frustrating time. Her computer isn't letting her type in the box. Crazy, right? She really likes the walwisher and wants to give it a go next year.
    Welcome to tag-team posting!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some of us have been trying to use Wallwisher but we can't figure out how to get it to recognize who you are when you make a post instead of marking your comment as Anonymous?

    ReplyDelete